These live theatre experiences invite and encourage individuals with autism, ADD, ADHD, dementia and sensory sensitivities to enjoy the performance in our “shush-free” zone.
For each Relaxed Performance, we also offer a pre-show Sensory Tour, during which patrons are able to enter the theatre space, view the set and props, and ask questions.
2021-2022 Relaxed Performances:
A Christmas Carol December 19, 2pm
Personality March 20, 2pm
Hold These Truths April 24, 2pm
Bayard Rustin Inside Ashland June 5, 2pm
The Vinegar Tree July 17, 2pm
Grand Horizons August 21, 2pm
Performance adjustments include:
- House lights will remain on at a low level in the theatre during the performance
- Lower sound levels, especially for startling or loud sounds
- A reduction of startling and/or strobe lighting
- Freedom to talk, vocalize, and leave seats during the performance as needed
- Space available throughout the theatre for standing and movement
- Limited crowds and visitors through the theatre lobby during the day and time of the performance
We invite you to bring noise-cancelling headphones, fidget/handheld manipulatives and stress sensory toys, and anything else you may need to ensure maximum comfort and safety.
If you would like to recommend a specific accommodation at People’s Light, please notify us at (610) 644-3500 or email Leigh Jackson, Director of Hospitality & Accessibility, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resources available before and during the performance:
- A quiet area will be provided in the theatre lobby to relax as needed
- Fidget and handheld manipulatives will be available to borrow
- People's Light staff, who have been trained to be inviting and accommodating to individuals' needs, will be available throughout the theatre and the lobby
- Disposable ear plugs
- Pre-show preparation materials will be available online as the performance date approaches to help prepare all attendees for the experience of visiting People's Light and attending these performances