Contact: Richard Portney
Department: The Farmhouse & Bistro
Not your average catering facility…
Our 230-year-old farmhouse features a ballroom, restaurant, and all-weather pavilion that overlooks picturesque English gardens. Next door, the original barn structure is home to one of our professional theatres, the Leonard C. Haas Stage.
All proceeds from each event go to support the non-profit arm of our business. As a civic and cultural center with theatre at its core, our work extends far beyond the stage. We serve 12,000+ students annually through classes, subsidized theatre tickets to Title 1 schools, and residency programs for students on the autism spectrum. This year, we partnered with Temple University’s Institute on Disabilities and the National Theatre of Great Britain to become the first theatre in the United States to pilot Smart Caption Glasses technology, and we continue to lead the region in sensory-friendly performances.
The Banquet Sales Manager is responsible for booking banquet functions from orientation to event. They also support the Director of Farmhouse Operations by completing tasks as directed.
- Maintain or exceed budgeted booking goals and revenue in all special event areas (food, beverage, other)
- Experience selling to a variety of market segments
- Consistently book repeat business by having a track record of long-term client relationships
- Actively participate in industry related organizations (WIPA, CHAMBER, NACE, MPI)
- Thorough knowledge of sales techniques including strong closing skills and negotiation skills
- Comfortable with site inspections and client presentations
- Participate in trade shows and sales blitzes
- Track record of strong prospecting efforts
- Actively participate in community/civic activities to maintain awareness within community and to create booking opportunities
- Excellent creative skills to provide innovative set-ups, menus, and functions for groups. Ability to generate creative and innovative menus while working closely with Chef on pricing specialty menus.
- Work closely with banquet department on operations and event execution. Ability to quickly evaluate alternatives and decide on a plan of action
- Provide complete and detailed banquet event orders to set the operations team up for success
- Experience providing Audio Visual equipment and operating Audio Visual as a profit center
- Ability to work with outside vendors to ensure client satisfaction for all events and groups
- Comply with attendance rules and all other company policies and guidelines
- 3+ years of experience in Catering/Event sales for restaurants/venues, especially including corporate business
- Must have experience at a similar size property and with a similar sales volume (ideally $800k+ in bookings)
Required Education and Skills:
- High School Diploma required; Bachelor's Degree preferred but not required
- Requires strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Must possess computer skills, including, but not limited to, use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Sales Reservecloud
- Advanced knowledge of venue features, benefits, and competing venues within the market
- Able to set priorities, plan, organize, and delegate
- Written communication skills to be concise, well organized, complete, and clear
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively under time constraints and deadlines
- Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences, such as effectively communicating with supervisors, coworkers, guests etc.
- Positive attitude, ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, and have fun in the workplace
- Schedule may fluctuate based on departmental requirements
- Must be able to walk, stand or sit for hours at a time. Lift and carry up to 25lbs.
- United States (Required)
Compensation is commensurate with experience plus benefits. The Sales Manager salary will be competitive with other companies of comparable stature and size. Benefits will include the following:
- Medical/dental/life/disability insurance plans (largely employer funded);
- Defined Contribution Plan through TIAA-CREF
- Paid vacation, holidays and sick leave
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
The Farmhouse at People's Light maintains a drug free workplace. The Company will consider for employment qualified applications with criminal histories in a manner that is consistent with local, state, and federal law. All job offers are contingent upon successfully passing of a background check.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and three references to Richard Portney at email@example.com
- What was your average annual bookings with your most recent catering/events department?
People’s Light is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and equitable environment. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. People’s Light is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic.