Reports to: Director of Finance
Position type: Full time/exempt
Compensation: Competitive salary commensurate with industry standards, including full benefits.
About People's Light
People’s Light, one of the largest professional theatres in Pennsylvania, forges cultural and civic connections throughout our rapidly growing region. In the heart of Chester County, People’s Light is at a unique crossroads of rural, urban, and suburban populations. Throughout the year-round season, People’s Light produces contemporary plays, classics, new forms of music theatre, and original work. Beyond the stage, they host a wide array of cultural experiences and education programs that inspire meaningful engagement with, and sustained investment in and from, surrounding communities.
The seven-acre campus at People’s Light features a restored, 18th-century farmhouse, two black box performance spaces, scenic shops, classrooms, rehearsal space, picnic areas, and administrative offices. People’s Light also serves as a local polling place. The farmhouse is home to the for-profit business: a premier event venue, The Farmhouse at People’s Light, and an on-site restaurant, The Farmhouse Bistro. 82,000 people visit the campus each year. Nowhere else in the region can patrons see exceptional theatre, attend a town-hall discussion, have dinner with friends, take a class, celebrate a wedding, and cast a vote, all in one place.
The Farmhouse General Manager is responsible for the successful operation of the Farmhouse including the catering and restaurant operations, revenue performance and sales functions, product and service quality, Farmhouse personnel, budget adherence and profitability.
- Develop a well- trained, professional and highly motivated team which will strive to exceed all budgeted goals and service standards; Lead by example; be proactive on all guest issues
- Responsible for the development and implementation of Catering and Restaurant annual budgets; Assist with preparing and reviewing monthly financial statements. Review with appropriate staff to insure adherence to budget. Reforecast throughout the year and report annual expectations.
- Foster a productive relationship with People’s Light management and staff
- Develop and administer all Farmhouse policies and procedures
- Lead strategic thinking through achieving goals and objectives of four-year Long Range Plan
- Knowledge of relevant aspects of federal, state and local laws and ordinances pertaining to the Facility including Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board regulations; Maintain Owner/Manager RAMP certification. Maintain sanitation standards throughout the Facility, including adherence to all health department regulations.
- Respond to direction from the Board of Directors and Executive Leadership.
- Responsible for long range and strategic planning for The Farmhouse and ensuring that it is disseminated to all appropriate staff.
- Direct all efforts towards the achievement of sales and profit goals for the greater success of People’s Light.
- Hire, supervise, and direct the Farmhouse management and staff.
- Establish relationships with clients and oversee catered events as needed.
- Prospect for new clients along the 202 corridor, Great Valley and West Chester areas
- Establish seasonal Bistro menu with the Chef and review with Restaurant Managers.
- Maintain sanitation standards throughout the Facility, including adherence to all health department regulations.
- Develop and monitor management training programs for managers; challenge managers to grow professionally, increase sales and improve profitability.
- Know all relevant aspects of federal, state and local laws and ordinances pertaining to the Facility including Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board regulations; Maintain Owner/Manager RAMP certification.
- Develop and administer a marketing plan for event sales.
- Work with the Marketing Department and Box Office to promote the Bistro and achieve production/show goals for the restaurant.
- Meet bi-monthly with the Director of Patron Experience to check in and coordinate activities.
- Conduct a weekly staff meeting to review upcoming BEO’s and client needs and attend People’s Light meetings as required.
- Practice risk management to avoid loss.
- Assist with preparing and reviewing monthly financial statements. Review with appropriate staff to insure adherence to budget. Reforecast throughout the year and report annual expectations.
- Prepare all marketing and sales promotions for major holidays (Valentine’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day, Thanksgiving). Review reservations and develop/implement seating plan, décor, staffing, etc.
- Prepare capital budget in accordance with kitchen and facility needs.
- Conduct quarterly meetings of The Farmhouse Committee of the Board of Trustees to review financials, operational issues, etc.
- Implement at least two placemaking activities (jazz brunch, bingo, etc.) in accordance with strategic plan.
- Establish and maintain relationships with major vendors
- Produce two to three Open Houses for weddings and corporate events each year in accordance with the strategic plan.
Each individual brings a different mix of professional and personal experience with the intersect of management, hospitality, and operations. We envision top candidates will possess many, but not all, of the qualifications below:
- At least five years’ experience in Hospitality management
- At least five years’ experience in General Management
- At least five years’ experience in Restaurant/Catering management
- Excellent skills in hospitality and customer relations. This is a critical part of the organizational culture.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook)
- Able to collaborate and communicate effectively with personnel in every department
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- A self-starter able to work independently, proactively, and with a positive attitude
- Passion for live theatre
- Demonstrate a commitment to Equity and Inclusion
Please send letter of interest and resume to Grace Grillet at email@example.com.
People’s Light seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of Chester County and our surrounding community. Applicants from populations historically underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply. People’s Light is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider all qualified applications without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, or veteran status.