PREFERRED START DATE:
Approximately November 1, 2021
Kathryn Moroney, Director of Education and Civic Practice
Entry-level salary: $30,000, health and dental benefits, paid time off
Full time, non-exempt 40 hours/week. This position includes most Saturdays while weekend classes are in session, with a weekday off to balance, and includes some additional evening/weekend events as programming requires.
Some remote work days are possible, but many components of this position require in-person hours at the theatre.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
People’s Light is an equal opportunity employer. We work to cultivate a deep and wide reach in order to connect with prospective employees who have varied experiences and skills, a collaborative attitude, and the capacity and desire for growth.
NON-DISCRIMINATION HIRING POLICY
People’s Light seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to create an antiracist, socially just, and inclusive presence in Chester County and our surrounding community. People’s Light does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Applicants from populations historically underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Education Assistant provides administrative support for all education programs at People’s Light, which include on-site theatre classes and summer programs, school- and community-based workshops, student matinees, long-term residencies and ensemble projects. This new member of our team will enjoy a role which is equal parts welcoming concierge and detail-oriented event manager. The ideal candidate is an attentive communicator who will be a first point of contact for many People’s Light guests; the Assistant will field inquiries by telephone, email, and in person, and will communicate information with parents, students, educators, theatre patrons and the public. The Assistant is curious to learn about and represent a wide variety of educational offerings, and to cooperate with People’s Light teaching artists, company members, and staff from multiple departments in order to implement and strengthen each program. The ideal candidate also thrives with organization, since processing registrations, managing classroom spaces, supplies, calendars, and paperwork are key functions of our busy department. This is primarily an administrative role, not a teaching position, suited for an early career professional who will support the day-to-day needs of all education programs. However, we are open to discovering mutually beneficial opportunities for creative and teaching experience as appropriate for an individual candidate.
THE EDUCATION ASSISTANT WILL
- Communicate with patrons, students, teachers, and prospective participants about programming before, during, and after their participation at People's Light via email, telephone, and in person
- Process class registrations, including payments, using Tessitura
- Maintain databases and contact information for all education stakeholders
- Track program expenses for monthly reporting
- Oversee facilities, equipment, supplies, and materials used for education programs
- Coordinate hospitality for education events as needed, including set-up for receptions, and providing snacks and meals for students engaged with full day programs
- Assist teaching artists when needed, including support for specific student learning needs
- Supervise students in unstructured periods including meals, pick-up, drop-off, etc.
- Provide student transportation when needed using a 15-passenger company vehicle
- Gather program documentation (written, photo, video) for grant reports
- Represent the theatre at school and community events as needed
- Additional tasks as appropriate to the needs of each season
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Prior experience of theatre-making in any discipline(s)
- Previous experience in an administrative capacity; this may include internship or volunteer experience
- Project management: able to prioritize the needs of simultaneous projects and meet deadlines
- Excellent customer service skills: hospitality is a critical part of the organizational culture
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook)
- Able to synthesize and communicate information clearly and in a timely manner for a variety of audiences (parents, teachers, students, etc.)
- Valid driver's license, clean driving record, and comfort driving a large vehicle
- Must be able to pass Child Abuse, PA Criminal, and FBI background checks, and to participate in First Aid/CPR/AED and other emergency response trainings
- Able to work independently, proactively, and with a positive attitude
- A commitment to Equity and Inclusion
- Previous experience working in the field of arts education and/or with youth
- Bilingual (Spanish) is a plus
- Working knowledge of Tessitura is a plus; we expect to train a candidate for our specific needs
- Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, or related skills welcome but not required
We know that not all candidates will have all experience listed, and we encourage applications from anyone who is motivated to learn and excel in the role summarized here.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter which describes both your interest in theatre and/or theatre education overall and also explains your interest in this specific role at People’s Light, a resume, and 2-3 professional references. Deadline to apply is September 24, 2021. Applications will be accepted here: PL Education Assistant Application